Civil Rights

Vince Rabago Law Office has experience in civil rights and constitutional litigation, ranging from unlawful discrimination cases to abuse of constitutional rights, such as use of force.  Vince Rabago Law Office also provides experience in restoring civil rights to individuals.

Civil and Constitutional rights, such as the right to vote, the right to bear arms, etc., are important to people.  A prior conviction can negatively impact employment opportunities while also depriving a former criminal defendant of certain civil rights.  Setting aside your judgment of conviction and restoring your civil rights can set you on the path to better employment and help in the journey to restore your participation in society.

Arizona provides the ability to get a criminal “Judgment of Guilt Set Aside” and a “Restoration of Civil Rights” for certain cases.  Generally, if the Judge grants the Motion to Set Aside Judgment of Guilt, then a former Criminal Defendant can tell people that he has no conviction.  However, many job applications ask “Have you ever been convicted, arrested, or charged?” A person must answer “yes” on any job application. Usually, there is an opportunity to explain the situation.  If your judgment of conviction is set aside, people can explain that they were charged with a crime, but that the “judgment of guilt was set aside”, and therefore they currently have no conviction on their criminal record.  This response often serves to adequately answer such job application questions, and can reduce the use of a prior conviction as a harmful consideration for a potential employer.

Do you need to get your prior Class 6 Open felony conviction reduced to a misdemeanor in Arizona?   A motion to reduce a Class 6 Open felony can be filed on your behalf.  If granted, you will no longer have a felony conviction on your record.  Generally, a misdemeanor is much less serious than a felony, so this can also improve your employment opportunities.

If your terms and conditions of probation need to be modified, a motion can be filed with the court to try to adjust your terms and conditions of probation.  Sometimes a person’s  circumstances change, ranging from the loss of a job which can affect the payment of restitution, or work furlough issues, or a need to travel out of state to visit family.

Finally, remember that you have Civil or Constitutional rights, including the right to equal protection, and the right not to be discriminated against because of your gender, race, or national origin.  You also have the right to freedom of speech, protection from unconstitutional searches that violate your  privacy, and the right to be free from excessive force from government officers and agents.  If your life, property or liberty is deprived without due process of law, you have legal rights and remedies that you can pursue.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *